Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Mittvoch

8/5/09

Words and letters dance behind my eyelids when I go to sleep. In the morning I write backward and forward. My left to right and right to left have become dysfunctional and I am now dyslectic in several languages simultaneously.

There are at least half a dozen or more Austrian and Jewish "yungen" They are not Jewish, but most are doing doctorates in Eastern European studies/history. They understand everything almost at once, and as they are yung they got the alphabet in a week, then they're off.

There are non rivaling cliques based on language, nationality age and Yiddish proficiency. I must infiltrate some of the dorm students to get more of their takes on people. I need their equivalent “handles” for hairy lesbians and Yiddish Jedi Masters. I have heard about Josh svartz ( he’s swarthy) and the other who’s “frum” (orthodox) in addition to the Jedi. Josh wins the name contest as there are three, only 3 Daniels.

Nearly everyone is energetic bordering on mania. Most people are enthusiastic and outgoing, although everyone is, in some ways, self absorbed. Everyone is searching for their own imagined lost world. We are in our own imagined present.

By Monday August 3, there are more display windows in tourist shops, many more French, German, Japanese, and Russian tourists. Cheap thrills! The Baltics are a “buy” in this economy. I ate dinner with a Russian couple. They were quite charming. The global recession has affected them. They only are taking one 2 week vacation this year instead of 4!!! Did I forget to tell you they spoke no English and I speak no Russian?? Tourist sign language.

I am carefree! Forget the 15 hours of classes and the 15 hours of Haym Arbet. I'm having a shamefully good time and the hard work is part of it. Shared drudgery and avoidance helps us bond! I run into everyone in the streets, and enjoy the familiarity and camaraderie of a campus or office. I sit at cafes with my books and today, with my laptop. The food here is great and 10 -20 dollars goes ridiculously far in a day. It’s a great life

This week is music week. We had a concert yesterday and are now singing ourselves. Tomorrow I will learn a song to perform and people will bring in flutes, violins and, I think, a clarinet to go along with the beautiful old German grand piano at the cultural center. I will have my first and closing solo recital on Friday.

Finally, plans for la mia compleana are proceeding. I will have a cocktail party at a good Italian restaurant in their courtyard early evening on my birthday. Sexig sounds better!

No comments:

Post a Comment