Friday, August 14, 2009

Sexig is Sexy

I did see the KGM/Genocide museum today. It was horrific. I understand what this weird sotto voce controversy is about. The should not be labeled Genocide, as the terrible post WWII years were about non ethnic, political, Soviet-Era oppression, Siberian exile, torture and famine. It should certainly be a museum. The cells in the prison are unreal. I am remembering my trip to Alcatraz with Sydney. It’s hard to compare, but I don’t recall Alcatraz with torture chambers or execution cells. But this should not detract from the other horror, if detract is the right word. The Jewish community seems afraid that the Shoah will be marginalized. After this weekend I am done with dead people.

Well, my crowning achievement was reading Goldihairileh and the Drei Beren. Unstaged readings available on request. The fairy tales and songs help to lighten the heavy weight of memorials, graveyards, historic walks, killing fields.

And did you know that Bialystok was considered part of Yiddish Lithuania? I am
told that I and my family are pure Litvak. So from a Litvak point of view we have major cred. Vilne was known as the "Jerusalem of the North." My father prided himself on speaking Litvak Yiddish but he always said he was a Polish Jew. In the end,ver veyse?

I guess I am 4 for 4 grandparents now. Many people here have made genealogy a serious hobby/way of life. I enjoy my new friends well enough to attend a conference in the US to see them, but I have exhausted the current information I have, and I suspect that I will not look for more, at least now. This has been incredibly rewarding and my favorite summer camp!
:-)

It's gotten cool and it's getting much darker each day. My birthday is tomorrow, and after another excursion, I’ll have a brief reception for the program, then dinner with friends. My secret slogan is Sexig is sexy. I’m glad to be far away from real life.

No comments:

Post a Comment