Sunday, August 2, 2009

Shabes

Correction:
The French women are lovely but they are Jewish. So, Elles sont gentilles. (?Robert? Sydney?) The program is about 20+% non Jewish (the Gentiles). As my Yiddish takes baby steps, my other languages regress.

Robert emails: I am not sure what the French term for a non-Jew is; why don't you ask them?
Gentille = nice; goy?
It all sounds like an out-of this world/time cruise you are taking

Yes, I am time traveling, and Duh! The French term for non-Jew is Frenchperson! :-) So Gentille does not take an s in the plural?

I am not studying today. It is, after all a day of rest, and I have had around 25 hours of study this week. I’d like to sleep without seeing letters before my eyes.

We went back to Uzupio, the self-proclaimed artists’ Independent Republic, the Takoma Park of Vilnius. Their 40+ point bill of rights includes such morsels of wisdom as: A dog has a right to be a dog, and A cat has a right to not like its owner, but must be there in times of hardship.

We ate again besides the babbling brook. I had cured salmon and we tasted the national dish of “Zeppelins” – a scary looking football-shaped meat ball surrounded by boiled potato mash. At first I thought the mash might be a half inch of lard! Not bad. I’m glad I tried it and got it off the to do list! On the food front, I am throwing caution to the wind. What ever doesn’t kill you will make you stronger!

It is great to find new connections between streets and neighborhoods. Saturday is also wedding day and dozens of bridal parties parade around town for photos. They are followed by their limos which take them to the next quaint area. Most couples are very young; some don't even appear to be 20! A sweet custom, the couple has their two names engraved on a lock. They go to the stream, lock their lock on the railings of the bridge and throw the key in the river.

Another tour on Sunday and HOMEWORK!

No comments:

Post a Comment